<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, January 22, 2004

It's too cold --

I think I like winter, but I'm not sure. I think winter is the kind of season that you like when it's a different season but hate when you're in it. Like summer. What I wouldn't give for a 85 degree day, no icy wind. But I know that when it's 96 for the fifth straight day, and I've sweated through my third tee shirt of the afternoon, I will look fondly back at old man winter.

The idea of winter just sounds so snuggly and cosy -- you drink hot chocolate, beautiful snow everywhere, a fire, Bing Crosby singing old standards, flannel pajamas, bears hibernating, the works. Of course the reality of winter is much more harsh than homey, cruel rather than comfortable.

The only seasons that you can honsetly enjoy when they're happening are spring and fall, which is of course not to say that they don't have their drawbacks as well. Namely, rain.

Truthfully, in a 365 day year, I'd say only 25 days are what I would consider "ideal" weather, another 50 are "nice", 100 "tolerable", and the rest fall in the range of "bad" to "apocalyptic".

P.S. If it's a leap year, the extra day becomes freezing rain by default.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?