<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 04, 2003

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles --

I grew up on morning cartoons, and TMNT was one of my favorites. I had the toys, the games, I saw the movies, the whole bit. The cartoons were funny, each turtle had his own little personality, there were outlandish villians -- basically it hit all the buttons to keep a kid's limited attention.

Did you say theme song ... Heroes in a half shell - TURTLE POWER !! That wasn't a theme, that was a goddamn fourth-grade anthem.

Have you seen the new Ninja Turtles cartoon? What a joke. It's been all japanimationed-up to look like TXJ-5002 Pokemon or whatever the hell you call it. I'm 22 years old and I could not follow the plot of this show.

There is an entire generation of kids out there that are either vastly superior cognitively (doubtful) or so bloated on media products that everything they see and hear just wash over their minds like pixilated narcotics. Well at least we won't have to worry about these half-wits competing with us for jobs down the line.

It is inevitable that cartoon styles change over time ... black and white Mickey Mouse, Fred Flintstone, Jetsons, Loony Tunes, Tiny Toons, Tom & Jerry, Simpsons, GI Joe ... an evolution. And I like the style of the new Batman and Superman and Justice League programs. They have a real classic look.

But I cannot stand anime or japanimation or whatever you call it, especially when it devours and ruins a cherished childhood memory. I just hope that Muppet Babies Xtreme Fighter Man Squad isn't next.

By the way, what the hell is Raphael's problem?

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?