<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, December 08, 2003

My office window --

The person who I replaced at my new job had a choice office with a nice big window, which I luckily inherited. People more senior than myself were a little ercked, but tough noogies.

I can see the street and the cars and I have a plant that I named Mr. Plant. I don't know what kind of plant it is, but I enjoy noticing that the it grows towards the light -- every few days I turn it so that it can grow the other way ... this brings me calm, like a Japanese garden. When I water him I give him a little coffee. I figure if it works for me, it'll work for him too.

The importance of a window cannot be overemphasized. Being able to look out there and see the people and the traffic keeps me from feeling constricted and angry. I live in a basement apartment, so I don't have much of a view there. My parents' apartment in NY had nice views of trees and the Palisades cliffs, and I miss that.

Now the kicker ... I will be losing my dream office when the firm hires a new attorney, which they are in the process of doing. I will be moved to a room by the kitchen -- no windows -- that they currently use as storage. (As an aside, while I typed that sentence my eyebrow twitched involuntarily) How is my plant going to survive??

Apparently, plants can live without sunlight. This goes against everything I learned about photosynthesis, but okay. I do know this, though, the plant rotation will be over, that's for sure.

My only gateway to the outside will be my computer, which is a soul drain. And I will be closer to the coffee pot, which inevitably means I will drink more coffee, which certainly is not going to help the constipation I've been experiencing lately.

Perhaps I should eat the plant and join his essence with mine ... his lush green leaves and thick stems sure look fibrous enough.

my precious .... prreeessshhious ....




|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?