<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, December 19, 2005

Holiday Mayhem 

I had a very long post about a couple of things that bugged me this weekend all written and ready to go, but I've realized that I couldn't in good faith post it. It's not that I think I'm wrong -- far from it -- I just didn't like the way it sounded.

It's like, let's say somebody says something inappropriate at a solemn event. A solemn event that has nothing to do with them. This hypothetical person is only there to pay respect or show support, not because they have any relation to the underlying person or event. Then this hypothetical person makes a comment that is designed to give themself underserved ownership over the underlying event -- jump on the coat-tails of the solemnity to satisfy their own ego. Immediately after this person makes the comment, everybody looks at the floor, or out the window, etc., because it is plain to anybody with a fucking brain that it was inappropriate and just generally a wrong thing to say.

BUT, it would be even more awkward and inappropriate for another person to chastise the first person for making the event, "all about them."

My beef is with a similar kind of comment, although lesser in degree.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?