<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Let them eat food 

One of my favorite things during my stay in Ireland was the Sunday dinners they used to have. Mike would make a nice roast or a chicken, three or six different kinds of potatoes, the grandparents would come over, and we'd drink beer and wine. Always white, which is good, because red gives me a headache. It was a great way to spend a weekend afternoon.

They would do it early too, around 4:00, so I'd usually take a little nap from 6:00 to 7:00 and then wake up good and refreshed for a night of carousing at the pub.

When I came back I told my Mom how much I enjoyed those dinners. Ever since then I've noticed how sometimes on Sundays she makes an extra effort to make a nice meal that day.

The thing about it is that you can't do it every week because then it seems forced, expected, something you have to do. It has to be leisurely, effortless, stess-free.

I highly recommend a large early supper for every man, woman, and child every third Sunday.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?