<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Moneyball --

I bought Moneyball yesterday. I was skeptical, but it was time. Anyway, I couldn't put it down -- it's really good. I'm already 250 pages in.

There's a lot to say about it. Here's a few things:

1. The author, Michael Lewis, is married to Tabitha Soren. Yeah, you remember her from MTV Choose or Lose 1992. This struck me as odd, because I was under the impression that he was Billy Beane's pincussion ... if you follow.

2. In the not too distant future, our lives will be run by statisticians. Given a large enough sample size, they can tell you (with a 95% confidence level) what time of the day is most conducive to making a bowel movement, how many people will die on the Fourth of July, or when you should double down in Black Jack. Actually, that not too distant future happened about twenty years ago.

3. Guys like Bill James are going to make baseball not that much fun.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?