<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Operating Room Gross-Outs --

Last night I was watching TV with Beth and we come across this show about how technology will be able to help people with disabilities in the future.

They showed a blind woman getting about 1,000 wires put into her brain so she could see points of light, and a Norwegian leg amputee get a titanium rod put directly into the bone -- a better way to attach a prosthesis than suction.

Fine.

Great.

Science improving lives -- I'm all for it.

But why do they have to show all the g. d. blood and guts in the operating room? Is there anything more disturbing than the sound of a drill going through somebody's skull? Wait, there is, a much larger and less, how do you say, delicate, drill going buck-wild into some poor guy's femur.

I know that I'm a big baby when it comes to blood and organs, but my feeling is that's what's inside the body should stay there -- when you're eyeball to eyeball with a slimy green liver or a beating heart, something has gone seriously awry.

I just don't like those damn operating room shows.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?