<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Happiness is being a cow in India 

I had a religious experience today.

I spent a good part of my "workday" @ the USAO looking up firms' message boards, dividing minimum billable hours by 49, and generally having a very shitty attitude about the hell I've gotten myself into.

So I get on the bus home, which was: a) late, and b) VERY VERY SLOW. Did I mention it's 10,000 degrees out? So, whatever, I'm pissed. I pull the bus stop thing, but I pulled it too soon, so I wound up getting off a couple blocks before my usual stop.

The second, and I mean literally, the absolute moment, my foot hits the sidewalk, I hear SCREECH CRASH BAM!!! In the intersection, blocked by the bus, a car full of kids with their mom got rocked on the driver's side front. At first I thought that the other car had taken off hit and run style, but it turns out the driver of that car was momentarily knocked unconscious, his momentum carrying him another half a block. (and hitting a third car) All cars involved were in a bad way.

Everybody's looking around dumbfounded. I whip out my phone and call 911. It's so strange to me that when things like this happen, when life is literally at its realest and most dire, things always seem so surreal. The woman was alert, but definitely dazed, and she couldn't get out because the door was smashed in so far. The kids looked alright but scared. Thankfully, the kid in the back seat was sitting on the passenger side.

Everybody was OK. At least I think -- I broke out after the firemen cut the woman out of her car.

I heard later that the accident was actually the woman's fault -- she didn't look as she was making her left turn, and turned into the other car's path.

Crazy.

[I'm not even going to lie and say that tort liability didn't cross my mind.]

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?