<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, November 06, 2005

How to peel an onion 

I'm a big fan of Jacques Pepin.


I can't always understand what he's saying, but I really enjoy watching his cooking shows. His manner is very relaxing, like watching the ocean or taking prescription drugs.

Unlike a lot of other cooking shows, he doesn't really treat it like it's such a big deal. He'll leave out an ingredient, then say something like, "I forgot to put in the garlic. This is okay. Sometimes you experiment and you like it, sometimes not. It's just food."

Which is pretty amazing when you consider that the guy is classically trained French chef. Food is basically the only thing the French take seriously and excel in ... well that and religious intolerance.

A lot of other food shows stress me out. You have to do this then this then this and you can't forget to do this and if you don't do it like this then it'll all be fucked up and you'll have to order Chinese. I watch Alton Brown and I feel like there's going to be a quiz at the end. To hell with that.

It's not like I'm ever going to make whatever it is you're doing anyway. So just keep it easy and maybe I'll steal an idea.

At the end of the show, when the the food is ready, Jacques tastes it like a regular person. No overacting or any other fake nonsense. Rachel Ray (who I generally like) apparently has an orgasm every time she tastes something she made -- give me a break.

Jacques does a good show.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?